Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring


Spring in New Hampshire by Claude McKay
Too green the springing April grass,
Too blue the silver-speckled sky,
For me to linger here, alas,
While happy winds go laughing by,
Wasting the golden hours indoors,
Washing windows and scrubbing floors.

Too wonderful the April night,
Too faintly sweet the first May flowers,
The stars too gloriously bright,
For me to spend the evening hours,
When fields are fresh and streams are leaping,
Wearied, exhausted, dully sleeping.

Again, I chose this poem because of its simplicity. I feel like McKay makes the message of this poem straightforward, which is that the outdoors is beautiful, especially during the season of Spring. As McKay describes, Spring is when the grass is green, the sky is blue, and the flowers have just began to blossom. This poem encourages me to spend more time enjoying nature rather than sitting indoors and being boring. I also like McKay’s use of rhyme in both stanzas which have a pattern of ABABCC. For me, rhymes always make a poem more fun to read. Lastly, I like to read pieces of work that soothe my mind, and this poem kind of did that, a few of the other ones were a bit on the grotesque side.

No comments:

Post a Comment