Monday, June 11, 2012

Non-Fiction

Simple by Kerrie Kemperman

http://www.creativenonfiction.org/brevity/pastissuestwo/brev38/Kemperman38.html

I first clicked on this poem because of it's title and as I read along I truly enjoyed this short story of non-fiction. I love the daughter-father relationship discussed in this story because you don't get to read much about them, at least I haven't. Most stories are rather about the bonding between a father and son.

The daughter-father relationship kind of reminds me of the relationship I share with my father. My father's also a very simple guy who doesn't like to show off.  He also has a tendency of showing/telling me things about his childhood and the life he's seen thus far like the father in the story does. Sometimes, like the author, I only half listen to what he says but if I were to question myself and ask what's one of the things I admire about my Dad, then his simplicity - simple talks, simple belongings, simple clothes, simple lifestyle - would definitely be on the list. 

This story is meaningful because a father-daughter's relationship is actually hard to understand. I don't understand my relationship with my Father half the time but I know it's special. For example, I don't communicate with my Dad as much as I do with my Mom but when it comes down to a funny family argument my Dad and I are definitely backing each other up!

No comments:

Post a Comment